Are you facing an annoying error message that says “There was a Problem Resetting your PC”? If yes, then this article will help you fix the There was a Problem Resetting your PC error easily without spending any money or time.
Whenever something happens to your Pc, first thought in our mind is to run an Automatic Repair wizard which fixes the issues automatically. But if it failed, you have to Refresh or Reset the machine. But sometimes, this Refresh or Reset failure also get stuck with error messages and when this Repair is Refreshed we get another Error. We are going to talk about this issue in this article. The error goes by the following:
What is “There was a Problem Resetting your Pc” Error
The issue of Windows ‘There was a problem resetting your PC’ error message seems to be increasing day by day. More and more users are reporting this issue and ask for help online. So here in this article, we will tell you the reasons which cause this error and then we are also going to list some methods by which you can easily solve this error. This method is confirmed by some users to be working correctly.
You can try all the methods one by one to solve ‘There was a problem resetting your PC’ error until the error is fixed. The solutions also work for other Windows versions.
What causes the Error?
The main problem by which this error is causing in your Pc is maybe due to faulty or corrupted Windows Recovery Environment Image. There is a very fix for this problem which is simply by copying the WinRE partition from another computer. But it is hard and requires some computer knowledge to do so. So we present you some easiest method which requires only your Computer to follow:-
The issue of Windows ‘There was a problem resetting your PC’ error message seems to be increasing day by day. According to Microsoft, there may be these 4 reasons why your Repair Failed and you get that Error Message:
- The Windows 10 was a preinstalled Os and not an upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.
- Maybe your Pc builder has reduced the disk space required for preinstalled applications in your Computer.
- When you created a USB recovery drive using the “Create a recovery drive” feature in Windows 10.
- The PC was to the USB recovery drive and then selected, Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Remove everything.
So let us start with the fixes to solve this error:-
Fixing “There was a Problem Resetting your Pc” Error
There are many fixes for this error to solve. We have listed many solutions here and you can try them one by one. If any of the below-mentioned methods doesn’t work for you simply move on to the next method. So let us start with our methods:-
Clean install Windows 10/8/8.1 using Media Creation Tool
The best way to solve this issue is to clean install the Windows using the Media Creation Tool. You can install it from here:- Media Creation Tool Download
To clean Install Windows to your Pc follow the below-mentioned steps:-
- Click the link provided below to create an installation media for Windows 10 /8.1/8 using Media Creation Tool.
- Insert the installation media you created, and then restart your PC.
- On the Install Windows screen, select Repair your computer.
- On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. From there, you can use Safe Mode. Select Advanced Options >Reset This PC>Remove everything.
If this method is not working for you or you are unable to do this, simply move on to the next step:-
By checking System File
The issue can also be solved by checking if all the system files are up to date and updating them if required. This will be done by using certain commands, in cmd. Note that copy and paste the exact command in your cmd. Don’t change anything. Follow these steps to proceed further:-
- Click Power button from Start menu.
- Then while holding the Shift key, click Restart.
- Click Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
- Select your administrator account and then enter the password if you set one before.
- Click Continue to go on.
- Wait a few seconds for command prompt window poping-up.Then type the following commands in the window and hit Enter after each
ren system system.001
ren software software.001
- After it’s done, close command prompt window.
- Then it will be back to boot options page.
- Now click continue and you will be booted to Windows.
- Now reset your Windows 10.
- That issue will no longer bug you.
- Now close the Command Prompt window.
After closing the cmd, you will be shown a Windows Recovery Environment screen. Now click on Continue which will redirect you to the Operating System. You Pc will reboot. After booting up you’ll find that ‘There was a problem resetting your PC’ issue is no longer coming and your issue is solved.
Recover your PC from USB Recovery
Another method to solve this problem is by using a USB Recovery.
This method is used to repair the issue by the help of USB Recovery. To do so just follow the below steps carefully:-
- The first step is to insert a USB Flash drive into your computer. It should be Blank.
- Then Open the Start Menu and search Recovery Drive in the Search Box.
- Then click Create a recovery drive from the top result.
- Click Yes when prompted by User Account Control and then Click Next.
- Select your USB drive and click Next.
- Click Create.
- When it’s done, click Finish.
- Now reboot your Windows 10.
- Now press F12 or any key which your PC tells to enter Boot Menu.
- Select Boot Device to USB recovery drive.
- Click Recovery from a drive.
This method is guaranteed to be a success and definitely solve your problem if every step is followed carefully. If for some reasons this doesn’t work for you. You can try some other methods mentioned above.
All the methods are tried and working and if due to any reason none of them is working for you. The best you can do is Install a fresh copy of Windows on your Pc. If you feel any query or doubt while doing any step of the above-mentioned methods you can simply ask us in the comments section below.